My Photo
Name:
Location: PDX, United States

Friday, January 13, 2006

Thanks

I've been back from my South Pacific vacation for a week now, and I thought I was over my jetlag. I woke up this morning at 8:30, a full hour later than I am supposed to be at work. I have a clear memory of setting my alarm the night before, but no recollection of the alarm going off.

I've been feeling a little flakey at work lately, which mostly has to do with taking an additional week vacation on top of a two week winter break, and improvising the content of the classes I've taught all week. Being late on top of this made me really nervous. I got up, got dressed, brushed my teeth, ran out the door and was at my bus stop in less than 10 minutes.

The direct bus to my work runs only once an hour, and I’d just missed it, so I needed to take two busses, which I imagined would slow me down considerably. Fortunately my first bus arrived immediately. I jumped off on Jackson just as the second bus was pulling up. I had two busy streets to cross, and the traffic lights weren’t cooperating with me. Just as I ran across the second street, the bus started to pull away, then stopped. Just for me! I profusely thanked the bus driver, who told me he'd started driving a bus because it was the only way he could get women to chase him.

Thank you Mr. Bus Driver. I don't care how many times you've used that line. You made my day.

1 Comments:

Blogger exlibris said...

J,
I am no different from lots of other people in that I Google the names of the ones I know (still, kidna creepy in a way I realize)...I Googled your name because I work with you and I am interested in the work you do. And so, I stumbled upon your blog. I love it, having bounced around through about 1/2 your posts. You're a great writer, one fun to read and one I can at several times really identify with.
Thanks much for the fun reads!

11:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home